Annually, the agricultural industry faces recurring abiotic problems such as drought, salinity, and extreme temperature, leading to crop destruction and substantial revenue losses. Without proper and adequate technologies, these factors will continue to prevail and lead to even more significant challenges, affecting farm managers for years.
How can we improve crop yield?
Global warming has presented unprecedented challenges to the agricultural sector in South Africa, leading to significant demand for affordable, effective, and sustainable solutions to prevent further crop destruction and potential revenue losses. With effective Internet of things (IoT) solutions, farmers are given a notable advantage in combating these external challenges. IoT devices can gather essential data on soil moisture, dam, and water trough levels, allowing them to make more efficient decisions, reduce waste, save costs, automate specific processes, and increase profitability.
With this knowledge in mind, SS Telecoms has sprung into action and introduced Milesight IoT solutions to South Africa.
Milesight manufactures the best-in-class Internet of things (IoT) products with a specialised focus on agriculture and intelligent building environments. It combines security, connectivity and communication complexity and magically interweaves these components to deliver an integrated and formidable IoT solution.
What are the benefits of IoT in agriculture?
With Milesight’s IoT solutions comprising sensors, controllers, and Long-Range Wide Area Network (LoRaWAN) gateways, the agricultural sector can save costs, time, and effort and maximise crop yield.
The main benefits of agricultural IoT include the following:
- Data collection: With intuitive sensors, data is collected and stored in a secure cloud environment. The user can access this data, analyse conditions, and make informed decisions from any computer, cell phone or tablet.
- Remote Monitoring and instant alerts: Remote monitoring of farm conditions and infrastructure saves time and labour on routine farm checks communicating the data to the farm manager in real time.
- Automated irrigation systems: The user can trigger irrigation systems remotely from almost anywhere. The sensors can automatically activate irrigation systems when soil conditions indicate water requirements in the user’s absence.
- Security: Milesight’s contact sensors alert users to objects’ open/close status (such as doors and windows) and communicate live alerts to the user via the mobile app.
- Risk assessment: Users can analyse the information and plan for future harvests with the collected data.
- Field productivity: Milesight’s products increase the efficiency of producing our crops to ensure less wastage, expediency to market, and enhanced uniformity in best practices across the process.
Milesight products use a long-range wireless technology called LoRaWAN. With this low power consumption technology, sensors can last up to 5 years on the same battery and transmit distances up to 10km. Combining the Milesight sensors with its IoT cloud solution allows users to manage all sensors remotely and receive alerts and updates via the intelligent mobile app.
SS Telecoms has a comprehensive range of sensors and controllers from Milesight designed for any agricultural environment.
SS Telecoms offers pre-configuration, pre-sales and after-sales services to ensure that all customers feel confident to begin their IoT journey. Contact our sales team at or visit our website at www.sstelecoms.com for more information.